I tried to replace elbow macaroni with barley on this recipe for the latter is packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals, phytochemicals, antioxidants, cholesterol-free and low in fat.
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- 1 c medium barley
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 1 c organic fat free milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 5 cups water
- 2 packs smoked uncured, nitrite-free angus hotdog
- Boil barley and chicken breast with 5 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Once the barley and chicken are soft, add chicken stock, cut hotdogs, carrots and celery and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add milk and salt to taste.